I often think that it's important to try out the local cuisine when you step into a new culture or country. Think frogs legs, snake meat, and various creepy crawlies, at least that's what I think of. But I'm only joking - foreign cuisine is unique, sometimes yummy, and most often provides an interesting experience.
Just a few night ago, the 7 of us went to Mary Mac's Tea Room, a well-known restaurant serving southern dishes. It was definitely popular with the locals too, because we arrived at 7.30, and waited for about an hour for our table - it was that packed! (and no reservations allowed).
I would say it's definitely worth bringing my parents when they come to visit me in Atlanta. We were served complimentry bread - 3 types - corn bread, yeast rolls, and cinnamon rolls. The last two types of bread were rave worthy - we had to force ourselves to stop eating in order to save stomach for the main dish. Each of us ordered a different southern speciality - ranging from Roast Turkey, Country Fried Steak, to Fried Chicken. I myself ordered Chicken and Dumplings, just because southern chicken is GOOD, and also because I was curious to see how the dumplings would turn out. It looked like dumplings you can find in s'pore, but the creamy sauce made it taste non-asian. 2 of my frens also ordered Banana Pudding for dessert, which is something I'll order when I go there to eat again.
Each main dish came with 2 sides, so it's worth it. Here's the link
http://www.marymacs.com/Portals/0/menus/marymacs_menu_dinner.pdf..and cheers to more wonderful dinners!
Later on we walked back in the rain - everyone forgot to bring umbrellas. Poor mm got flu cos of that.